So you are planning to split a large amount of wood? Of some big logs? Then a splitting maul is the right tool for the job. But what is the best wood splitting maul? Which one should you buy? Below you will find the best splitting maul and at the end of the article, a nice comparison table with all the important details compared.
What is a splitting maul?
Before we go to the best splitting maul, let me first point out the important details of a splitting maul and when you should use it. A splitting maul is basically a large sledgehammer with an axe head on it. The weight of the head is around the 6 to 8 pounds which give it a lot of force. The blade edge is not sharp, the maul splits the wood through sheer force.
Depending on the size and quantity of the wood you want to split, you need either a splitting axe or a splitting maul. If you need to split a lot of wood or large chunks of wood then the splitting maul is a great choice. The heavier weight will give you extra power, which results in less time working!.
The heavier weight is also the downside of the splitting maul. It will cost you more energy and you might find it difficult to swing, which could result in loss of control. Are you still confident you need a splitting maul and not a splitting axe? Then find the best splitting maul here below:
The best splitting maul
As always I only list the best tools, so not a list of 10 or more splittings mauls. You are looking for the best splitting maul, these are the best splitting mauls. On a lot of blogs, you will find splitting axes between the mauls. A maul has a blunt head with a weight between 6 to 8 pounds!
Husqvarna 32″ Splitting Maul
- Designed for splitting chunks of wood and poll is designed for driving splitting wedges
- Hardened striking face in the neck and can therefore be used as a sledge or in combination with a splitting Wedge
- Includes a leather edge cover
- Head is attached to a hickory shaft using both a wooden and Steel Wedge to secure fastening
- Only sledge axes can withstand use as a sledgehammer
The shortest and lightest maul in the list. The Husqvarna axes are made from Swedish steel which is a high-quality steel. If you are not an experienced wood splitter, then the shorter handle and lighter head are perfect to start with. Another advantage of the shorter handle is that it will improve your accuracy.
Fiskars IsoCore Maul 36″
- Ideal for splitting wood (splitting face) or driving wedges and stakes (driving face)
- Optimized blade geometry offers better penetration and blasts tough logs apart
- Patented IsoCore Shock Control System absorbs strike shock and vibration to reduce the punishment your body takes, transferring 2X less shock and vibration than wood handles
- Inseparable riveted head will not slide down or snap off, even when swinging with maximum force
- Full lifetime. Forged, heat-treated steel is finished with a rust-resistant coating. Softgrip handle features a sculpted profile to fit the natural shape of your hand
The IsoCore system of Fiskars absorbs shocks and vibration, reducing the punishment your body takes up to two times. The Fiskars is a powerful maul which allows you to split a great amount of wood while helping to reduce the muscle fatigue and joint pain.
The Fiskars IsoCore Maul can be used in combination with the Fiskars IsoCore Sledge Hammer to give it some extra power. The weight balance of the Fiskars is great, and the head geometry is really good. With a lifetime warranty, you are set for life with this great splitting maul!
Helko Werk Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter
- HANDMADE IN GERMANY The Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter is an enormous, heavy duty splitting axe built to tackle the most demanding jobs. The deep wedge and punishing weight deliver an incredibly powerful striking force, capable of splitting tree trunks, large rounds, and heavy firewood.
- PATENTED INTERCHANGEABLE HEAD DESIGN With C50 high carbon steel - 53-56 HRC The Vario 2000 uses Helko Werk's patented axe design - a German engineered bolt-on fastening system that introduces incredible versatility and efficiency across the Vario product line. All Vario heads, handles, and fastening components are fully interchangeable and inter-compatible. The heads are assembled with bolts which are driven through the handle and secured by a butt-plate retainer cap.
- GRADE A AMERICAN HICKORY - MATTE LACQUER FINISH - 150 GRIT SANDED Lightly lacquered with black-dipped grip, individually selected for grain orientation and density, and sustainably sourced grade A American hickory
- INCLUDES FULL GRAIN LEATHER SHEATH - 1 OZ. BOTTLE OF AXE GUARD PROTECTIVE OIL All Helko Werk Axes include a vegetable-tanned premium leather axe sheath to protect your axes and hatchets
- DIMENSIONS - Head Weight: 5 lbs. - Parts Weight: 1 ½ lbs. - Total Weight: 8 ½ lbs. - Bit Length: 3 ⅞ in. - Handle Length: 36 in.
A premium splitting maul, this heavy duty log splitter is made for the most difficult jobs. The head has a deep wedge shape and combined with the heavy weight, it delivers a powerful striking force.
Helko Werk is made in Germany. They use German high-grade carbon steel for the head. The handle is crafted in Switzerland and made from Grade A Hickory.
What I love about the Helko Werk maul is that they include a bottle of Axe-Guard to protect the head and an Allen wrench for the bolds. You pay a fair amount of money of the maul, but it’s worth every dollar of it.
Helko Werk Germany Saxon Splitting Axe
- HANDMADE IN GERMANY The Saxon has the splitting power of a maul, but has the balance, feel, and control of an axe. The Saxon Wood Splitter is a heavy duty splitting axe, best reserved for large rounds and difficult logs. Excellent chopping axe and more effective than a splitting wedge or splitting maul
- C50 HIGH CARBON STEEL - 53-56 HRC - The Helko designed head made specifically as an axe for chopping wood delivers powerful strikes without getting stuck or pinched up in the wood, and is a great addition to your firewood cutting tools.
- GRADE A AMERICAN HICKORY HANDLE - LINSEED OIL FINISH - 150 GRIT SANDED - Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory handle individually hand finished and selected for grain orientation and density with a boiled linseed oil finish and sanded to 150 grit for a comfortable and smooth finish on your axe handle
- INCLUDES FULL GRAIN LEATHER SHEATH - 1 OZ. BOTTLE OF AXE GUARD PROTECTIVE OIL - Helko Werk Axes include a vegetable-tanned premium leather axe sheath to protect your axes and hatchets
- DIMENSIONS Head Weight: 6.2 lb / Length: 31 in. / Total Weight: 8.5 lb
Yes, the product title says “Splitting Axe”, but in my opinion, it has all the characteristic of the splitting maul. A length of 31 inches (ok, it’s a short maul), and a head weight of 6.2 pounds. So it’s on the edge of a powerful splitting axe or a full-size maul.
It’s a Helko, so also made from high-grade German steel and a handle made in Switzerland. It has the premium build quality we are used to from Helko. If you buy this, you get a great product for life.
I listed this Helko because it’s perfect if you are not so tall of not an experienced wood splitter. The lighter head and shorter handle it will give you more control and requires less strength.
Wilton 36″BASH Splitting maul
- TRADEMARK GREEN HEAD: Hi-vis, drop-forged 46 HRC steel head endures the most demanding applications.
- NO-SLIP GRIP: Vulcanized rubber handle provides a secure grip while striking.
- UNBREAKABLE HANDLE TECHNOLOGY: Steel core eliminates breaking during overstrikes.
- SAFETY PLATE: Locks head firmly to handle and prevents head from dislodging.
- ANTI-VIBE NECK: Tapered design eliminates vibration from striking.
This Wilton is also a great splitting maul. The handle is unbreakable, it’s made from vulcanized rubber with steel rods inside it. The rubber and Anti-Vibe neck reduce the vibrations. Wilton holds a contest, awarding $ 1000 to the first person breaking the handle. So you don’t have to worry about that.
Best Splitting Maul Compared
In the table below you will find the splitting mauls compared with the important details: