A hatchet is something well all have lying around the house. It’s useful for creating kindlings, to take with you when you are hiking or when you go camping. Hatchets are small and easy to carry and can be used for chopping small pieces of wood or to perform small chores around the camp. But if you are reading this, then you are probably looking for a new or the best hatchet to buy.
There are a lot of hatchets available to choose from, all in different prices ranges and features. I compared them all to help you select the best hatchet for your needs. What we are looking for is a hatchet that is not too heavy, has a blade guard so we can safely carry it on our hiking trips and a perfect balance and power-to-weight ratio.
At the end of the article, your will find a comparison table with all the hatches in one overview with the most important details. I have limited the list to 6 items because it won’t help your listing every possible hatchet out there. You are looking for the best hatchet, so I selected the best!
Husqvarna 13″ Wooden Hatchet
- Small, light axe that can be used for cutting branches or splitting small camp fire wood
- Head is attached to the hickory shaft using both a wooden and steel wedge to secure fastening
- Comes with a leather edge cover
A Swedish hand-forged hatchet with a perfect balance for this size. The handle is curved which force you to hold the hatchet at the end of near the head if you want more control. It came reasonably sharp, but after 5 minutes with an oil stone, it is like a hot knife in butter.
The handle has a nice quality and is made from Hickory. It’s unvarnished and has a good grip. With the low price, it’s my number one hatchet to go for.
Fiskars X7 14″ Hatchet
- Ideal for chopping kindling and small- to medium-sized logs
- Chops deeper with each swing to get more done faster
- Perfected balance and power-to-weight ratio increases swing speed to multiply power, much like an aluminum baseball bat
- Proprietary blade-grinding technique provides a sharper edge for better contact and cleaner cuts
- Lifetime warranty. Low-friction blade coating powers through wood and prevents head from getting stuck
Another easy-to-carry Swedish hatchet, the X7 from Fiskars is ideal for chopping kindling and small logs. Like the other axes in the X-series, is the blade made from a stronger than steel FierComp and is the head made from Carbon steel. The head has a perfect bevelled blade design and is coated with a low-friction coating.
The overall weight is low, mostly due to the lightweight FiberComp handle. The handle has a good grip and the X7 comes with a lifetime warranty.
Estwing 14″ Camping Hatchet
- FORGED IN ONE PIECE – The most durable, longest lasting striking tools available
- OUTDOOR VERSITILITY – Perfect for chopping logs, small trees & branches or splitting firewood & kindling
- HEAVY DUTY SHEATH – Includes ballistic nylon sheath to protect hand sharpened cutting edge
- GENUINE LEATHER GRIP – Hand sanded and lacquered for a durable yet comfortable finish
- MADE IN THE USA – Our tools are proudly crafted in Rockford, IL using the finest American steel
The world famous Estwing’s Sportsman’s axe, a really good choice for every outdoorsman. The Estwing hatchet is drop forged in one piece, resulting in a very durable and long lasting outdoor tool. The head and neck of the hatchet is polished and looks beautiful. The handle is wrapped in a genuine leather for a comfortable grip.
The Estwing is available in two sizes, a 12 and 14 inches and is delivered with a nice nylon sheath to protect it.
Gerber 14″ Hatchet
- PTFE coated blade reduces friction, chops clean.
- Forged steel head construction is durable for long term use.
- Composite handle is shock absorbent, reducing hand strain.
- Slim sheath ensures safe storage + transport.
- Chop deeper with control + efficiency.
The Gerber hatchet is just like the Fiskars a popular choice for many. And that is not strange, Fiskars is the parent company of Gerber. So the Fiskars X7 and the Gerber 14-inch are basically the same hatchets. The only difference is the colour and name. Both are a great product, so pick the one with the best prices or which you like the most.
Helko Callis Pathfinder Hatchet
- Handmade in Germany
- C50 high carbon steel - 53-56 HRC
- Grade A American hickory handle - Linseed oil finish - 150 grit sanded
- Includes full grain leather sheath - 1 oz. bottle of Axe Guard protective oil
- Head Weight: 1.25 lb / Length: 15 in. / Total Weight: 2 lb
The Helko Callis Hatchet is a bit expensive, but a real premium hatchet. The Pathfinder is flawlessly balanced, beautifully crafted and really comfortable to hold. The Pathfinder Hatchet is handmade in Germany from C50 High-grade carbon steel with a fain grain grade-A Hickory handle which is made in Switzerland.
The Helko is really the most beautiful and best hatchet available on the market.
Hults Bruk Tarnaby Hatchet
- This axe head is hand-forged and made from Swedish axe steel in a foundry that has been in operation since 1697.
- As part of the production process, the steel is struck multiple times thereby increasing its density and resulting in more durability of the axe.
- The head is constructed in such a way that there is a tempered zone designed to hold a very sharp edge even after many sharpenings.
- Each axe comes with a traditional leather protective sheath that is embellished with some unique Swedish decorative elements. The axe is shipped in its own storage box and comes with a detailed users manual.
Another real quality hatchet, also a bit expensive compared to the Fiskar and Husqvarna, but well worth it. It has a amazing build quality, is well balanced and superior shaped head. It’s really comfortable to handle and razor sharp when you receive it.
If you want a quality product, then go for the Hults Bruk or Helko and you are set for life.
Best Hatchet compared
In the table below you will find all hatchets compared with the most important details listed.