Removing small branches or cutting small logs around the house can easily be done with a small chainsaw. They are light, easy to handle and not really expensive. So what is the best small chainsaw you can buy?
I always thought chainsaw were expensive, and gas-powered chainsaw is. But electric chainsaw is coming up and are just as powerful, lighter than the gas powered and really affordable.
- 1 What makes the best small chainsaw
- 2 Pole Saw
- 3 The best small chainsaws
- 4 Comparison table
- 5 Conclusion
What makes the best small chainsaw
So lets first decide what we are looking for in a small chainsaw. First the size, of course, a small chainsaw has a blade length between the 8 inches and 12 inches. A longer blade isn’t practical when you need to remove branches.
Weight is another important factor. With a small chainsaw, you are probably reaching high to remove branches. The heavier the chainsaw the sooner you will get tired. So we are going to look for a lightweight chainsaw.
To keep the weight low I really recommend getting an electric powered chainsaw. You will have two options, with or without a battery. Now, normally you won’t use a small chainsaw for a long period of time together. So going for a battery powered chainsaw is a really good option here. But batteries add weight to the chainsaw. If you want to know more about electric chainsaws, in general, you should check this article.
The last feature we will take into consideration is how easy they are to use. A tool-free blade tension system is a must, just like automatic oiling.
Some small chainsaw can be bought with a pole extension. These chainsaws are a two-in-one, you can use them as a normal chainsaw, but also attach a pole to it so you can remove small branches safely from the ground.
I really like those 2-in-1 electric chainsaws. You are probably looking for a small chainsaw to remove branches or trim trees, this requires you the climb a latter the most of the times. By using the extension pole you can stay safely on the ground but still use the chainsaw as a normal one.
The best small chainsaws
WORX WG309 10″ 2-in-1 Electric Pole Saw & Chainsaw
- Patented auto-tension chain system for extended bar & chain life
- Powerful 8 Amp motor offers a consistent performance. OIL TANK CAPACITY 120 ml
- Rotatable working handle for easy pruning. Chain Links:40
- 8-foot extension pole with tool-less installation
- Compact and light weight design ; Rated Voltage:120V~60Hz
I have recommended the Worx before, and also for a small electric chainsaw this is really one of the best you can get. The two-in-one version of the small Worx is cheaper then the normal battery powered Worx chainsaw.
So you basically get the pole free with it, you don’t need to use it, but it’s always handy to have. The Worx WG309 is corded, so keep in mind that you will need to a outlet and a long extension cord when you are using this saw.
The WG309 has auto-tension and auto-lubrication system and weighs only 10 lbs without the pole. The 8 amp motor is powerful enough and with a pole length of 8 foot, you can reach most limbs.
Worx WG322 Cordless Chainsaw
- Automatic, tool-free chain tension system
- Automatic chain Lubrication with oil lever indicator
- Compact and light weight design
- Includes Battery indicator for quick Battery life review.
- 20V Battery and charger included. Share Battery across multiple WORX tools within the 20V power share platform
Another Worx, but this time a cordless chainsaw. This is one of the most sold cordless chainsaws on Amazon and for a good reason. The WG322 is light, powerful and easy to use.
Just like the other Worxs chainsaws comes this one with auto-tension and auto-lubrication. It can cut through 6 inches of wood with any problems. The battery will last around the 30 minutes when you work non-stop.
A solution for this is to buy the bigger 20V battery. This way you can work up.
You can also buy the 2-in-1 version of this cordless chainsaw, the WG323 is the same but with the extension pole.
Black & Decker LCS1020 Cordless Chainsaw
- 20V MAX lithium battery for long run-time and long life- stays charged up to 5x longer
- 10" premium Oregon low kickback bar & chain
- Tool-free blade tension system for quick adjustments
- Wrap around bale handle
- Included Components: (1) LBXR2020, (1) LCS1620, (1) LCS1020; Power Source: Lithium Ion
If you don’t like the Worx chainsaw, then a good alternative is the Black & Decker LCS1020. This is also a cordless chainsaw that comes with a 20V battery.
The Black & Decker is a little it heavier then the Worx and cost a little bit more. Besides that it has the same function, auto-tension and auto-lubrication. It doesn’t comes with a optional pole extension, but you can buy a bigger battery for this one.
Only the bigger battery of the Black and Decker is only 3ah where the Worx battery is 4ah. So you can work longer with the bigger Worx battery.
Remington 2-in-1 Electric Chainsaw
- 2-IN-1 FUNCTIONALITY: Logs on the ground? Quickly detach the saw from the pole to convert the unit from a pole saw into a chainsaw. No tools required!
- LONG REACH: Designed with two aluminum booms extendable to 10-feet for high branches. With operator height considered, the pole saw can cut limbs 10-feet to 15-feet overhead.
- ELECTRIC POWERED: An 8-amp electric motor instantly starts to drive the chain over the low-kickback, 10-inch bar.
- ADJUSTABLE: A telescoping design paired with flip and lock clamps allow the operator to quickly adjust the length of the pole saw so that trimming trees of varying heights isn't a hassle.
- PRUNE IN COMFORT: Anti-rotation shaft and non-slip grip enhance comfort and stability during use.
The Remington RM1025SPS is really popular on Amazon. And to be honest, it amazed me a little bit. Yes, it is really cheap and if we look at the specification is it just a powerful as the Worx or Black & Decker.
But the Remington doesn’t come with auto-tension, not even with a tool-less tension system. It also seems to leak oil when you store, a tip from the manufacturer is to store it upside down (horizontal position).
What good is about the Remington is the pole extension, low price and easy to use. I think you only should go for the Remington when you are looking for a cheap small chainsaw that you can use occasionally. Otherwise, spend the extra money and get the Worx or Black & Decker.
Greenworks 12-inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- High Performance G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion Battery delivers fade-free power with no memory loss after charging
- Robust 12-inch steel chain and bar with tool-less chain tensioning offers ease of use while delivering the highest cutting performance
- 3/8-inch chain pitch delivers the right amount of capabilities to get those limbs trimmed and cut with minimal kickback
- Automatic oiler applies oil to bar and chain when needed to ensure durability and optimal use with a translucent oil tank for clear view of oil level.Wrap around handle for multiple cutting positions to provide ease of use when trimming at different angles
- 40V G-Max and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible; this tool is compatible with the G-Max 2.0 Ah battery (29462) and the G-Max 4.0 Ah battery (29472)
This Greenworks chainsaw is a little bit bigger than the other, it comes with a 12-inch blade instead of 10 inches. And comes with a 40V battery which results in more power. The Greenworks has a tool-less tension system and comes with auto-lubrication.
With the 12-inch blade, you can easily cut through 10-inch trees. The Greenworks is powerful enough for it. Even though it’s bigger weighs it still only 6 lbs, making it really easy to handle.
I added the best small chainsaws in a comparison table so you can easily compare the different models on their key features
If you Google on Best Small Chainsaw you will find many lists with the 10 best or whatever. Well, I can tell you, there are probably only 10 small chainsaws on the market. Those 10 are not all the best you can buy. In this list, you have the true best options for your money.
When you buy a new chainsaw make sure you also buy some bar and chain oil. You will have to buy it separately and in the beginning, your chainsaw will use a lot of it.