A wood splitting wedge, we all need them someday. You can buy the best axe out there, but that won’t help with does awkward logs. A well-shaped wedge can make all the differences. Below you will find the best splitting wedge and most innovative splitting wedges that are available.
A little background info
The splitting wedge is one of the oldest used tools for splitting wood. It’s not the most efficient one, but it will get the job done. While the basic principle of a wedge hasn’t changed, the materials, design, size and shape of a wedge has.
Today there is a wide variety of splitting wedges available, from the basis metal shaped wedges to advanced kindling wedges.
How to use a wood splitting wedge?
Using a wedge is easy, just place on the wood and hit it with a maul. But there are a view things you need to keep in mind. Never sharpen your wedge, in my opinion, a good splitting wedge should never be sharp. A sharpened wedge tends to get stuck in the wood and that is something we don’t want.
A good splitting wedge needs to be robust and needs to be able to stand up to force while you hit it with a maul. It’s also important that the wedge doesn’t bounce out of the wood at the first hit.
Another great tip always buy two wedges. You won’t be the first where your wedges get stuck, so having a spare one around will save you a lot of frustration.
Best splitting wedge
So here is a list of the best and most innovative wood splitting wedges that are available. My personal favourite is the Estwing Sure Split wedge. It has a nice weight and the fins on the side give the wood an extra push.
Estwing Sure Split Wedge
- WOOD SPLITTING MADE EASY - Weighted wedge design makes chopping logs and firewood a breeze
- WEDGE VERSATILITY - The Sure Split fins permit extra wedge action and the sledge will continue throughout below the wood line for sure splitting
- PERFECT FOR THE OUTDOORSMAN - Ideal for campers, hunters, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts
- HAND SHARPENED - Honed cutting edge for easy wood splitting
- MADE IN THE USA - Our tools are proudly crafted in Rockford, IL using the finest American steel
These are awesome wedges, I have a pair of those here and use them a lot when splitting big pieces of oak. The fins on the side give some extra action when you drive the wedge into the crack.
They have a tapered design to start easily and you are backed by a lifetime limited warranty.
Collins Wood Splitting Wedge Diamond Shaped
- Diamond Shape
- Wood splitting Wedge
- Multiple splitting surfaces
- Heat treated, high carbon Steel
- Head weight: 4 lbs
This is a 4-way splitting wedge, or also known as a grenade wedge. These are perfect for big logs. Just tap them in with a small 3-pound stake hammer and then hit it with a 7 or 8-pound maul.
I would not recommend using these type of wedges for normal logs. But for really big logs they are perfect.
Kindling Cracker – Firewood Kindling Splitter
- A safe and easy way to make kindling with no moving blade or sharpened object passing by your hands
- Splits firewood with less force than a standard axe
- 6.5in. inside diameter top ring
- Made of high-quality cast iron in Australia
- Virtually maintenance-free
The safest and most easy way to make kindlings. It’s actually just a splitting blade in a frame, where you place a piece of wood in and hit it with a hammer. The simplicity of this makes it really easy to use. No more sharp axe blade that swings close to your hands when making kindlings.
Use it with a 3-pound sledgehammer and you have a moth load of kindlings in an hour.
Ames – True Temper Torpedo Wedge
- Ames Wedge Splitting Torpedo 4lb Tired of splitting wood in four directions with a single wedge for your firewood, wood stove, or fire place needs
- Use Torpedo wedge, an innovative wood splitting wedge, perfect for efficient wood splitting with each strike by projecting force in four directions
- The wood splitting wedge is 7-inches in length and 4-pound head weight for durability to withstand repetitive pounding
- Wood splitting wedge
- Innovative wedge maximizes effect of each strike by projecting force in four directions for more efficient splitting
Again a 4-way splitting wedge or grenade style. It won’t split the wood into 4 or more pieces, but it goes through them like butter. 4-way wood splitting wedges are best of dryer wood. Then they are the most effective.